Sunday, October 16, 2011

Voicemail???? Just text me! Or you can...

Tonight on Twitter (follow me @LJ_Barber), I read a retweet from a friend that said "I should just change my voicemail greeting to: Please hang up and text me, thanks."  I NEVER check my cell phone voicemail and practically beg parents to email me with a time to call them back rather than leave me a voicemail at work.  

I can't do anything about voicemail at work but on my cell phone, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upfront and honest and request a text.  However, then I thought about how sometimes people cannot text because they don't have a plan or maybe the message would be too long.  So... I added an option.  I created an email address just for my voicemail!  I have several accounts set up on my phone, why not add one more?  I made the email address very short (6 characters) and said it twice on my voicemail greeting.

Here's the gist of what my greeting says "Hi, you've reached Laura-Jane Barber.  I rarely check voicemail so if you need to reach me in a timely manner, you can either text me or send an email to ____.  Again, that email address is ____.  Thank you and have a nice day!

We'll see how it goes!  :)

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment