Monday, May 23, 2011

Tapas!

My favorite Tapa ~ Patatas Bravas

While we cannot control how people feel, we can control how we treat others--which likely will affect how they feel.

I'm sure my students would tell me to make this into one of my "Tapas."  "Tapas" are small dishes, akin to appetizers in American Culture and the name I use for my bell-ringer or warmup (it's the appetizer to the class as I explain at the beginning of the year).  Everyday in my Spanish 3 classes, I begin with a Spanish idiom.  They are fun little sayings that sometimes directly translate but usually do not.  Some examples of English idioms are: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth," or "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."  A lot of times there's a pearl of wisdom and I take a couple of minutes to explain it to the class.  

Usually the class appreciates it--I mean, it's off-topic and high schoolers jump at any chance for that--but occasionally, someone will ask, "Why do we do these everyday?"  My answer is always the same, "It's helpful to be reminded how to be a good person.  I feel inspired to be a better person because of these and I hope you guys are too."  

Plus, it's kind of cool that the English and Spanish are often completely different.  For example, "Look before you leap" originally was, "Before getting married, consult the pillow," in old Spanish.  That one makes me chuckle every time.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment