Thursday, July 14, 2011

L-J's Review of Building Trust, How to Get It! How to Keep It! by Hyler Bracey, Ph.D.


This book is PHENOMENAL!  As a new team leader this year, I want to make sure that I can help establish a trusting environment for my team and this book lays out how exactly to do it.  Bracey knows what he's talking about because he first did all the wrong things before discovering the right way.

One of my favorite parts was when he dealt with giving feedback.  After walking through the process of giving feedback in a way that would strengthen trust, he then walks you through guiding someone who hasn't been trained in his methods to give you feedback in an appropriate way.  While it probably should be obvious that you can't assume everyone has read the same book or received the same training, I appreciated that he acknowledged how to deal with a situation that could easily worsen trust between people if neither person is properly prepared.


As I read, there were so many "Aha!" moments that I know will stay with me.  I know now what my role is and while I won't give away his process, I will say that it should be no shock that walking the walk is really the only way to go about it.  I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone in any situation looking to build trust.  Bracey truly gives you the tools necessary to do it, even if trust has been broken.

XOXO,

1 comment:

  1. I think you have read more this summer than I have read in the past 6 years! I'm impressed. this book sounds good. And now I kinda feel like I should try to read more :)

    ReplyDelete