Wednesday, August 3, 2011

L-J's Review of Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when stakes are high by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler

Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when stakes are high is a great book for anyone who ever has to deal with conflict.  So basically EVERYONE can benefit from this book.

I was first introduced to it through the Team Leader Academy put on by the school district for which I work.  Of all the things I learned this week, this is the information that immediately had an impact on my life.  I began using the information presented with my kids and my husband.  It's amazing how much it changed the patterns of our arguments.  My goal is to raise my children with these communication skills ingrained in their hearts.

The book calls us out on things we naturally do and provides insights into what causes our emotions.  It challenges the way we assume things work and and challenges us to step up and be better people.  If everyone read and did what this book recommends, crucial conversations would have everyone leaving the table feeling heard, respected and valued.

So how'd they come up with this?  The authors of this book studied effective leaders to see what made them effective and came up with this book to help other leaders create a safe, productive, communicative atmosphere for their employees.  The book is full of true anecdotal examples of human nature and examples of how conversations can go if utilizing the tools provided.  When I think of the great leaders that I've worked with, they do all of the things in this book--whether intentionally or naturally.

As a new leader in my department, I know this book will help me.  I highly recommend it!

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment