Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sleep Training Success!

We have had some sleep training trials this summer.  Kailee really fought going to bed in her bed with all her might until recently...  By recently, I mean since we returned from our vacation on July 21st, so less than 2 weeks.

One night, when I put Kailee in her bed, I offered to "snuggle-bug" her (tuck her big blanket around her to make her feel bundled up tight) and told her I'd be back in 10 minutes to check on her.  She did not complain, I shut the door, and she went right to sleep--I never had to go back in.  The next day at nap time, I did the exact same thing, though at 10 minutes she began fussing.  I went back in, held her to comfort her for about a minute and then repeated the process--she went to sleep without another peep.  Ever since this started, this system has worked beautifully.  Sometimes she fusses at the 10 minute mark, but usually, she just goes right to sleep on her own.  IT'S FABULOUS!

The only problem we still face is the middle of the night wake-up and freak-out.  Lately, I've become a night owl so when she first fusses, I go in, comfort her, and promise to return in 10 minutes.  Usually, I even leave her door open at this point and she does not try to get up.  However, at some other point during the night, she wakes again and ends up in our bed.  We may just have to accept compromise at this point.

As for Gavin, he's still an amazing sleeper.  Last night, I told him he could lie down in his bed without the TV or in my bed with the TV.  He said, "I guess I'll go to my bed."  What kid does that?  What 5 year old chooses to go to his bed in the dark?  Mine!  Of course, I convinced him he needed to snuggle with Mommy for a bit but he agreed with reservations.  What a crazy child!

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment