Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Consequence

A couple of years ago, one of my sisters-in-law shared a "cure" for the "talker-backer-syndrome."  She would put a drop of Tabasco (something she had tested on her own tongue to make sure it wasn't that bad) on her child's tongue if s/he refused to stop talking back to her.  We used the idea a few times with Gavin but I hadn't had to use it for a few months until tonight....

Tonight, Gavin decided to dump out all the dominoes from our Mexican Train (Turkey Foot on the Heil side) game.  I told him he could not watch TV or eat dinner until he put the dominoes away.  He slowly put them away, throwing out snide comments here and there.  I kept threatening the "consequence" (as Gavin calls it) but had not followed though.  Finally, 40 minutes into the process, with only half the dominoes put away and immediately after being told "I don't want to hear what you have to say, Mommy," I followed through with my threat and put a teeny-tiny drop on the middle of his tongue towards the back (where it isn't very sensitive).  You would have thought I'd poured acid on his tongue.  He cried real tears and boo-hooed.  BUT the other half of the dominoes were quickly put away, Mommy got an apology, and Gavin promised never to dump the dominoes out again--we'll see about that one.  

Mild salsa has the exact same effect as Tabasco.  In fact Gavin's reaction tonight was not nearly as severe as when I have used mild salsa.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment