Sunday, June 12, 2011

L-J's Review of Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham

Madeleine Wickham is Sophie Kinsella's real name.  Sophie Kinsella was made famous by the Shopaholic series which are fun, lighthearted chicklit novels.  She also published a few other fun fast reads that scream "Kinsella" when you read them--Remember Me, The Undomestic Goddess, Can you Keep a Secret? and Twenties Girl.  When I pick up a novel by Kinsella, I know I'm going to enjoy the journey through the book, probably laugh out loud several times, identify with at least some of the heroine's inner-dialogues, and be satisfied with the resolution of the story.

When I pick up a Madeleine Wickham novel, I am more hesitant.  My only other experience is that of a quite depressing story in which I did not like the paths various characters chose.  When I began Cocktails for Three, I had my own reservations, plus the knowledge that a friend did not like the story enough to finish it.

Cocktails for Three is not up to par compared to Wickham's novels as Kinsella, but neither is it as depressing as the other Wickham novel I read--Sleeping Arrangements.  This one did cover a couple of depressing topics but in a way that suggests Wickham was beginning to develop her style that would become Kinsella's.  I too found it difficult to attach myself to the plot and characters but after 200 pages, I felt I had to find out what happened in the end.  

All in all, I was able to appreciate the book for what it was--but I am an optimist and usually can find good in most things, even really bad books and movies.  I would not suggest paying money for this one, but for a free book, I can't really complain.  In fact, if I didn't know that it was by the same author as the Shopaholic novels, I probably would have been able to appreciate it more.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment