Tuesday, June 21, 2011

L-J's Review of Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson

I've heard people complain about life in the United States, citing examples of how other places in the world are better for various reasons.  I myself am very grateful that I was born in a country with equality and freedom.  Princess: A true Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia is the story of Sultana, a Saudi princess--royalty who has ZERO rights simply because she was born a female, not a male.

This is not a lighthearted summer read, it's the polar opposite in fact.  The realities of such a male-chauvinistic culture are extremely hard to digest especially for someone like me who has difficulty accepting when people intentionally do the wrong thing.  I found myself angered to tears at many points in Sultana's story.  I know that I would likely not still be alive had I been born with my fiery disposition in that country.  I don't know why more women don't run away when they get the chance--they are so rich that they travel to Europe and the US where they could be free!  I would be very saddened to learn that the US deported women seeking refuge from Saudi Arabia.

I highly recommend this book as it brings much needed awareness to the harsh realities of a woman's life in Saudi Arabia.  The lack of freedom and fairness is sickening.  There are many moments that I cannot forget even though I want to.  

There are two follow-up books to this one that I intend to read soon.  I am curious to know what happened as her life continued.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment