Tuesday, February 8, 2011

L-J's Review of Water for Elephants

I decided to read this book after getting it for only $5 on my Nook.  I did not know anything about it other than the fact that the movie with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will come out soon.


I started the book and was caught up in the story immediately.  What a interesting idea it was for the author to write about circus life during the Great Depression.  The book goes back and forth between Jacob as an old man and his memories of his life.  It was entertaining and intriguing from the beginning.  More specifically, it was unique, moving, funny, scary, sad and unpredictable.  On a negative note, I found the animal cruelty hard to handle though completely believable. At one point I had to take a break to stomach an incident before continuing.  Other than that, I found the book exceptionally enjoyable.  The ending had twists that I never saw coming, something I find to be a rare treasure.  I laughed, I cried, and I am glad I read this awesome book.


Hopefully the movie will uphold the integrity of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment