Friday, January 7, 2011

Gavin's reaction to Mommy's insulin pump

This morning, Gavin saw me changing out my insulin pump cartridge and we had this conversation:

Gavin: Mommy!!!! I don't want that medicine.
Me: It's not for you, baby.  It's for me, don't worry.
Gavin: Why are you taking that?
Me: Well, Mommy has to have her insulin for her diabetes or else she would die.
Gavin: And then when you get better you can stop?
Me: No, diabetes doesn't go away. I have to take it forever or else I would die. Cousin Sydney has to take insulin like Mommy too.
Gavin: But why did God make you have it?
Me: I don't know but I'm sure he has his reasons.
Gavin: God!!! Why did you make Mommy have this????
Me: Gavin, don't be mad at God.  I know he has his reasons.
Gavin: Mommy, it's okay to be mad about it.

Later he told me that only girls get diabetes (because he recognized a pattern that Mommy and Sydney are girls).  He also got worried about catching it.  Thanks to help from my mom, he felt better when I explained that some people develop diabetes like some people have to have glasses.  It's not something you can catch from someone.

I had pretty much sheltered him from my diabetes but perhaps now is the time to involve him more so he can  understand.  I pray everyday that neither of my children develop diabetes.  I don't wish the this on anyone.  Not that it's a bad thing to live with--I don't remember not having diabetes--but I pray my kids have healthy, blessed lives.  There certainly are worse things to live with.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Laura Jane. Hope you are doing well. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I think it is great to be able to talk to your children about pumping! Im sure he will have many more questions to come! If you get some time have a look at http://www.insulin-pump.org for some great advice

    ReplyDelete