Tuesday, April 5, 2011

L-J's review of Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay is my least favorite of the three books, sadly.

I had high hopes for the direction of the trilogy and I was sadly disappointed.  This finale is very action-packed with lots of drama and plot curve-balls.  There's lots of gore--which I hate--and sad deaths (including graphic deaths of children)--which I absolutely DESPISE.  That alone, ruined the book for me.  It was completely unnecessary and horrific.  The blatant message of the author is that war is bad, it changes people for the worse, and it ruins/ends the lives of so many innocent victims.  Message received.

If she wanted to leave a lasting impression on her readers, Collins succeeded.  I am haunted by the horrors she included.  I wish I did not have such gruesome images in my head, but when you invest yourself in characters and then have to read descriptive accounts of their deaths, it's quite disturbing and hard to forget.  My guess is that Collins wanted the reader to feel the way I do.  There's no way she wrote this novel thinking, "People will feel inspired and hopeful."  Well, I am affected and fear that I will suffer from some nightmares like our heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment