Sunday, March 6, 2011

Just one of those weekends...

It all began Saturday morning.  We were going upstairs after breakfast and I managed to spill coffee all over Kailee's Uggs.  I put on Doodle Bops, secured the gate and ran downstairs to get the Ugg cleaner.  I couldn't find it and had just done so when Gavin came waltzing into the kitchen singing to himself.

Me: Oh my God, how did you get down here?!?!?!
Gavin: I opened the gate!

I ran as fast as I could to the stairs fearing in my heart that Kailee had fallen down to the bottom.  I have NEVER been more relieved in my life than when I saw her sitting and playing on the next to bottom step.  I almost cried in relief.  Needless to say, Mommy and Gavin had a looooong talk about how Mommy and Daddy are the only ones who can open the gate.  I explained that when he was Kailee's age, we were so careful with the gate but he didn't have an older sibling here that could open it.  He understood but I think I freaked him out with my reaction to the situation.

Then, when getting Gavin dressed, I tried to swat him with his pants on his bottom and he happened to turn and start to sit down so of course I got him right in the face.  To quote the not so nice mommy at one of Gavin's friend's parties, "Guess [I'm] not gonna win mommy of the year this year."  (At that occasion, Kailee had fallen and some rude mom said, "Guess you're not gonna win mommy of the year this year."  Seriously, who says that?)


Being a procrastinator, I had not yet bought gifts for the birthday parties we had yesterday afternoon.  So Gavin, Kailee and I headed to Walmart and easily picked out some presents.  When we got home, I got them out of the car and asked Gavin to shut the door.  While I was getting stuff out of the back of the car, I heard Kailee screaming.  I went around and Gavin was distracted by a music video on the iPod so he didn't see why the door wouldn't shut.  Kailee was in between the car and the door.  I rescued my poor baby who was traumatized for a few minutes.


After that, there were minor things that just made the day annoying.  Kailee only took a 1 hour nap meaning I couldn't get everything I needed to accomplish done.  Then Kailee spilt water and sat in it--which would not have been a big deal but she was down to her last outfit because I needed to do her laundry.  Then she emptied an entire wipes container around her room.  When I caught her, Gavin kept telling me, "Mommy, I watched her do it!"  He wanted to make sure I knew he didn't do it and didn't realize he should have told Mommy.

The rest of the day was great--the kids had fun at their parties, Kailee and I had fun times with some of my wonderful Sigmas (Sara, Melissa, Sharon, Elizabeth, Holly and Isabel).

This morning seemed to start out pretty good.  I forgot to set an alarm for church but I woke up at the time the alarm would have been set for.  I did feel bad waking up Kailee after only 8 hours of sleep--she normally gets at least 10.

Everyday while I get ready, I check in on Kailee every few minutes.  Today, one of the times I went in her room, I caught her eating gel from an ice-pack.  Talk about MAJOR freakout.  I debated for 2 seconds whether to call 911 or Poison Help (Thank you to the kids' school for providing me with the useful info last year).  I called Poison Help and as it turns out the worst that could happen is that she'd have an upset stomach.  WHAT A RELIEF!!!!

We went to church where the kids behaved as normal--Kailee of course tried to climb on the stage a few times and did not want to sit still.  She did make friends with the rector during Communion.

We came home and all seemed pretty good.  Kailee took a 3.5 hour nap, I was able to clean, do laundry & workout.  Kailee and I had fun dancing around to Lady GaGa and Britney Spears while folding laundry and putting it away.

I called Brady to see when to expect him home, finally catching him at 5 only to learn that he had no idea when he'd be leaving.  As this weekend was supposed to be one of his off weekends, it really sucks that drill fell on it.  After all the insanity of the last 36 hours, I was kinda ready for someone else to be around and give me a break.  Plus I need to grade very badly.  Looks like it might be a late night for me :(.

Since Brady wasn't going to be home for dinner, I decided to fix some frozen stir-fry for Kailee and me.  The instructions were very clear and easy yet I managed to mess it up.  I forgot to turn down the heat when the timer went off.  I stirred, but left it on high heat.  Thus, I made very burnt stir-fry.  Fortunately, some of it was salvageable but Kailee did not like it one bit.  So I had to make her a second dinner that she only kind of ate.

The reality is, sometimes stuff happens.  And despite how trying this weekend has been, I am soooo thankful that I have such minor things to complain about.  I will take this everyday if it means we don't have to suffer something worse.

The weekend is ending on a sweet note though...  Kailee called Brady "Daddy" instead of "Dada" and me "Mommy" instead of "Mama."  It's moments like this that make all the other moments mentioned in this post worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment