Sunday, March 20, 2011

L-J's Review of Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham


After finishing Twenties Girl the other day, I was still in the mood for some good chick-lit.  Having read all of Sophie Kinsella's novels, I decided to check out her novels under her real name, Madeleine Wickham.  I went for the cheapest of the Nook books, Sleeping Arrangements.


This novel lacks the sophistication and the light-heartedness of her later novels as Kinsella.  The story is of two families that are vacationing at a mutual friend's Spanish villa.  He "accidentally" double-booked and as it turns out, two of them had a torrid romance 15 years ago--unbeknownst to their spouses/partners.  The former-lovers think it's a big joke on their friend's part and it is; though they are wrong in why he threw them together.  If you want to understand what I mean, you'll just have to read the book :).

As per usual, I could not put the book down as Wickham/Kinsella is a talented storyteller; however, the content throughout was heavier than what I was looking for.  And to top it off, the heroine did not have the witty inner-dialogue that any Kinsella fan craves.  That being said, I would not say it was overall a bad book; it just wasn't want I was hoping for, looking for and/or expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment