Thursday, March 31, 2011

L-J's Review of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I began The Hunger Games a couple of months ago while on my elliptical.  I hate being on the elliptical for long periods of time as I get bored but for the first time, I didn't mind it while reading this intriguing book.  I thus imposed the rule that I could only read The Hunger Games while on the elliptical.  I stuck to that rule until tonight.  I finally got sick of waiting to know what happened and finished it!

When I first heard about this trilogy from my friend Rebecca, I wasn't sure it was something I could get into--which is exactly how I felt about Twilight when my friend Luisa first introduced me to it.  I was wrong about Twilight and again about Hunger Games.  The basic story is of adolescents (a new bunch selected in a raffle each year) from 12 districts who must compete in the Hunger Games..  They are thrown in a controlled, video-taped wilderness (in a futuristic time), expected to kill each other off until one is left the victor.  This year, the heroine's younger sister is picked for her district, so our heroine, Katniss, selflessly offers to go in her place.

I had to exert amazing self-control to not finish this book the day I started it, but I needed something to motivate me to use my elliptical.  To give an idea of how gripping this book is, I could be on the elliptical for 20 minutes and feel like I had only been on for 5.  I wanted to stay on to keep reading.  I am actually quite impressed with myself that I did not finish it in 24 hours!

I don't want to give anything away so I won't say anything else but that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, I can't wait for the film, and I'm about to start the next book in the trilogy.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the series too. Didnt think i would since its not my usual type of book. Glad you liked it too! I didn't know they were making a movie?

    ReplyDelete